In addition to the many things to do in Dorset itself, there are many nearby attractions as well. Here are a few recommendations for day trips to take when you are in Dorset.
Lyme Regis Marine Aquarium provides the whole family with a close look at the region’s sea life. The aquarium features the Jurassic coast’s extremely diverse marine life. Kids are permitted to feed and touch some of these creatures.
- Horseback riding is one of the most enjoyable ways to explore the area. There are several stables nearby, including Kingston Maurward College in Dorchester, Windmill Stables in Portland and Sweetlands Riding School in Poole.
- Moors Valley Country Park in Ringwood has a wide variety of activities for the whole family. This is a 1000 acre park that offers hiking, biking, golf and an Adventure Play Trail with sculptures for kids.
- Wareham Boat Hire offers you the chance to hire a boat on the River Frome. There are paddle boards, rowing boats, kayaks, canoes and motor boats to choose from. Boats can be booked in advance or you can simply turn up and choose one.
- Anyone who enjoys fishing can find plenty of action near Dorset. Some of the best fishing spots include Highway Farm in Bridport, Weymouth Angling Centre and Water Meadow Fishery in Somerset.
- The Swanage Museum and Heritage Centre is a fascinating place for anyone curious about the area’s history and geology. In addition to the museum, there is a research area where anyone can gain access to newspaper and photo archives. This is useful for people researching their family trees.